23 September 2007

What is ET and IT?

"Educational technology involves the applications of systems, techniques, and aids to improve the process of human learning"
There are four features:
*The definition of the objective to be achieved by the learner
*The application of principles of learning to the analysis and structuring of the subject to be learned
*The selection and use of appropriate media for presenting the material
*Finally, the use of appropriate methods of assessing student performance to evaluate the effectiveness of courses and materials


Instructional technology is the 'media used for instructional purposes along side the teacher, textbook and blackboard and also is a way of designing, carrying out and evaluating the total process of learning and teaching in specific objectives.
So, instructional technology is the process of implementing the learning and educational technology is the application? Maybe I'm missing something here.

I do think it's interesting that, according to the "Educational Technology" article by Gentry, the impression seems to be learning cannot occur in an extremely effective way, nor can it be presented effectively, unless the latest technology is used and implemented the entire way of the designing process. I know technology exposes others to new avenues of learning and thinking, but is a person's learning experience worse if they haven't been exposed? Some say yes, some way no. I think there is a happy medium but I do understand the need for educational and instructional technology, specifically within my own classroom. I can't imagine going back to the old blackboard/textbook way of learning as I'd be bored as would my students.

No comments: